Sunday, November 15, 2009

So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star...

You know what it's like: There are some songs, like Jimi Hendrix's, "Purple Haze," or The Stones', "Jumping Jack Flash," where the guitar introductions practically clinch the recordings all by themselves. That's how it used to be for me, with Patti Smith's cover of "So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star." (Wikipedia's entry on The Byrds' orginal is here, with discussion of numerous covers.) I've included video of both live and studio versions of Patti Smith:

I've yet to update on the Victoria's Secret fashion show (Marisa Miller is phenomenal, so check back soon on that); and in the meanwhile, see Snark 'n Boobs, who cross-posts at IOWNTHEWORLD (with stuff like this mind-boggling entry).

Plus, don't forget Theo Spark's, "Saturday Totty ..."


1 comments:

kreiz1 said...

I'm old enough to have vivid memories of the Byrds' original with Roger McGuinn's nasally lead and David Crosby's wonderful harmonies- great band, fun song. They did a lot of Dylan covers, including thst great line "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Patti's big song for me was "Because the Night." Believe that tune was penned by Springsteen.