Tuesday, November 22, 2016

'Oh, give me the beat boys and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away...'

I actually heard this one on K-EARTH 101 a week or so back. I think my son was driving the van and I didn't even notice he'd flipped the digital dial. K-EARTH plays a lot of 1980s "new romantic," like Duran Duran and A Flock of Seagulls, which while nice, probably wears after one or two listenings.

Not so with Dobie Gray. I could listen to him over and over again. I remember first hearing this song in 1972 on the radio when I was just 11-years-old. So beautiful --- and spiritual. I could never forget it.

And the song's author just passed away a few days ago, coincidentally and strangely, considering I'm just paying attention this. See Billboard, "Mentor Williams, Writer of Dobie Gray's 'Drift Away,' Dies at 70."



0 comments: